Winders for falconers
Rutland Jumbo Reels
Some British falconers report success with the relatively inexpensive electric fence-wire reels made for farmers by Rutland Electric Fencing Co Ltd, available from argricultural engineers.
The Rutland Model 19-190B Jumbo Reel is shown here (above, right) mounted on the optional Model 19-192C "Short Mounting Post" (recommended - Rutland's "Lightweight Reel System" doesn't clamp onto the post securely enough.)
There are also:
- the Model 19-190R Jumbo Side Mounted Reel with a different clamp arrangement
- two more mounting posts: Model 19-192B for Jumbo Reel (1370m long) and Model 19-192A for Lock On Reel (1170mm long)
- two smaller sized reels: Models 19-191 Post Mounting SI Reel and 19-190A Hand Mounting Reel.
- Rutland Reels can be driven by a GOOD portable electric drill using the Rutland Model 19-300 "Reel Rewinder" attachment, shown above right.
Contact Rutland Electric Fencing for a stockist near you:
|Pillings Road Industrial Estate
Oakham, Rutland, UK
|22 Market Street, Brechin|
|Tel: 01572 722558 & 722455
Fax: 01572 757614
|Tel & fax: 01356 624109|
These are no longer available here in the UK, but may be available in America soon, if not already
- developed at the Welsh Hawking Centre by falconers for falconers
Durable nylon-framed winches with aluminum hubs
Chris now resides in California, where he will continue making reels. The last I heard was that once production is under way a new version will be available from:
- Hand built on a part-time basis.
- Work best with 24 volt battery drills (no pulley or gearing).
North Woods Falconry
Ed Schaub Tome, New Mexico
There used to be a web site for Ed Schaub's kite winch for falconry (and kite flying)
Finished winders or construction plans were available
but the link seems dead these days.
©1998-2019 Dan Leigh, 54 Osborne Road, Pontypool, Gwent, Wales, UK NP4 6LX